Thursday, November 03, 2011

My Art Room Control Station




I had everything set up today to talk architectural floor plans with 8th grade, and decided to take a picture of my desk and the tech I'm using. Each piece is numbered and described as follows:

1. A first generation iPad that I use for many different purposes. I use it daily for attendance which allows me to display the five minute focus assignment for 7th and 8th graders with my laptop and projector. After that, I use a myriad of apps for various different purposes. Some for presenting (air sketch), some for drawing (sketchbook, brushes), some for animation (animation HD, puppet pals), some for architecture (architizer, cubits), reference (ID Wood, iTranslate, MOMA, color wheel), some for music (garage band, bebot), some for sculpture (123d sculpt, pottery HD, sculptor) and some for problem solving (ball fall down, boggle, line rider, mancala, unblock me, rubik's cube). I could go on forever. I love my iPad and wish I had a few more.

2. A custom made dock for my iPod touch. I needed more desk space and wanted to keep musical inspiration near, so I built this out of pine and plywood. The power and data cords are organized and held out of the way with cable ties. It is hooked up to a stereo receiver that cranks out to 9 different speakers.

3. My district issued Dell laptop, now with photoshop! I've really put this thing to task. I create all of my lesson presentations using the PREZI web tool, including the five minute focus assignments. It is always hooked up to my projector. I still save everything on my mimobot flash drives though. I'm not taking any chances.

4. An iPevo USB document camera. This is a space saving, budget saving alternative to an ELMO. I don't know what I would do without it, especially in an art classroom. A great way to have 25 students easily see a drawing or building demonstration.

5. A custom made locking box for my LCD projector. I needed a permanent secure home for my projector so I didn't have to set it up every day. This was the perfect solution. Again, I used pine and plywood and square drive screws. and yes, it is attached to my desk.

Take all of these items, add me, and you have the central nervous system of my classroom. I'd love to hear what everyone else is using. Please feel free to share your ideas.

-Leban

No comments: